Read about CRASHPLAN here. The almost free, unlimited, cloud backup solution.
The following details how to install CRASHPLAN on a QNAP NAS device. As mentioned in my other article, the system requires two clients. One on a Windows PC and one on the QNAP.
I will assume you already have a CRASHPLAN account.
- From your Windows machine, copy this URL into a browser: http://download.code42.com/installs/win/install/CrashPlan/jre/CrashPlan-x64_3.5.3_Win.exe
- Once the download has completed, install and when prompted, click “Existing Account” and sign in.
- Download the CRASHPLAN version that suites your device:
- Download links
- Extract the binaries.
- From “App Center” search for JRE Developer Tools 6.0.22 and install.
- Once JAVA has finished, in the App Center, click Install Manually (Top right).
- Browse to the location of the CRASHPLAN binaries. (e.g. CrashPlan_3.5.3_27_x86.qpkg).
- Click Open, Install and OK.
- Once the install completes, click OK and Close.
- Find CrashPlan in the list and click OFF to turn it on.
- Click Launch.
- Enter the QNAP’s admin credentials.
- All being well, you should get back a page that looks like the screenshot above:
- Return to your Windows machine and open “C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties”.
- Change the line “#serviceHost=127.0.0.1” to read “serviceHost=10.100.50.16”, where 10.100.50.16 is the IP address of your QNAP.
- Save and close ui.properties.
- Right-click the CRASHPLAN icon on the taskbar and click Exit.
- Launch CRASHPLAN and enter your existing credentials.